4.02.2012

Light & Momentary: Your Body, Your Temple

How much does God care for us?  The answer to this question is truly beyond our comprehension.  God gave us His only begotten Son (John 3:16), He knows the number of hairs on our heads (Matt 10:30, Luke 12:7), He knew us even before he formed us in our mother's womb (Jer 1:5), and He watches us even as He watches a sparrow (Matt 10:29-31, Luke 12:6-8).  Still, we cannot begin to comprehend the loving kindness God has toward us.

If God cares about us in unmeasurable, humanly unfathomable ways, does this mean He cares about every aspect of our lives?  Of course!  And this includes our diet and fitness routine.  I cannot tell you how many times I've started and stopped a diet.  I cannot tell you how many times I've joined a gym only to let the membership go to waste.  Something was missing.  Then one day as I mindlessly opened a cabinet door to retrieve an unhealthy snack, I had an epiphany: God cares about the food in my cabinets.  God cares about my grocery list.  God cares about my physical activity.

Why?  Because the bad food in my cabinets, the unhealthy snacks on my grocery list, and my couch potato ways can negatively affect my body.  The Bible says our body is for the Lord (1 Cor 6:13) and is the temple of the Holy Spirit in us (1 Cor 6:19)!  The Holy Spirit is our precious gift, our Helper and Comforter who convicts us and guides us toward truth (John 14:26, John 16:5-15).  Jesus, Himself, refers to His body as a temple (John 2:19-21).

I decided that by taking better care of my temple, I am acknowledging that there is a precious gift that dwells inside of me.  Last September, I once again embarked on a healthy living journey that I call "from the inside out" because it is time for my outsides to match my insides.  I exercise 4 to 5 times per week, I make healthier food choices, and as a result, I've lost 29 pounds.  I am a work in progress!  I repeat: I AM A WORK IN PROGRESS!  I have to remind myself that these things should never be done for the purposes of being vain (Psalm 31:30).  Also, exercise without godly living profits nothing (1 Tim 4:8); the latter is far more important.

I really can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil 4:13)!  My first goal was to lose 10% of my body weight.  Did you know that by losing just 10% of your body weight, you can lower your cholesterol, reduce your blood pressure, and reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes (according to Weight Watchers)?

My diet is not perfect, and I often allow myself "cheat days" on the weekends (did I mention that I am a work in progress?).  But here is an example of my average weekly diet (pictured above - my most recent trip to the grocery store).  All of this costs about $43, and it will feed me a healthy breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack for almost an entire week!  Here's the breakdown of what you see in the picture:
  1. Egg whites and deli sliced turkey - pan seared together for breakfast.  A high protein breakfast keeps me full and satisfied until lunch.  Sometimes, I make a sandwich out of it by using the Nature's Own wheat bread (only 40 calories a slice).
  2. Smart Ones Fettuccine Alfredo for lunch.  I can add a 1/4 slice of cantaloupe or a 100 calorie snack pack of my choosing.
  3. The fresh green beans, fresh carrots, and smoked turkey necks go into a crock pot with the low sodium vegetable broth over night.  Once it is cooked, I split it into 4 servings and place it in the refrigerator.  This is my dinner for 4 nights!
So what was missing before?  I think the answer is obvious.  Even if I gain all of the weight back, my "success" will have nothing to do with the numbers on the scale, the items on my grocery list, or the gym pass that remains in my wallet.  So wherever you are in your journey (from contemplating a start to being a "healthy living" pro), I pray that you stay encouraged by knowing that God cares for you and wants the very best for you.
MEMORY VERSE: So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God (1 Cor 10:31)

No comments:

Post a Comment